Saturday, May 3, 2008

The Adventures of Okie


Well, I'm almost done with my first year of teaching. I was able to get some great experience last year as a full-time teacher assistant in a Kindergarten class in Oklahoma, but I was still VERY nervous to have my own class. But it's been WONDERFUL! They're a really good class, and I've learned a lot from this experience. I love my team of teachers, and am really going to miss working with them!


This is what my classroom looked like when I first moved in. It was a brand new school, so I was the first person to use this room! That actually made it more stressful, because I couldn't see how the previous teacher had set up the classroom. I spent A LOT of time arranging things.
This is my class the first week of school. It's amazing how much older they look now!

Cute kids exploring with manipulatives.



While helping us move from Oklahoma to Utah last July, my dad "rescued" a turtle from the middle of the road. He is now our family pet, Okie. When my second graders heard about him, they fell in love. In April, we started writing a class book, and they chose Okie as our main character. After a lot of hard work, they are quite proud of their class book.



Here are the authors/illustrators, posing in front of their masterpiece on the white board.
Notice how much older they look now!
Can you pick out a couple that look a little mischievious?


2 comments:

Juli said...

Sounds like you have had a fun year teaching.

Brenda Smith said...

What a great year and a great teacher! Such a darling class. I would love a copy of their book. Good luck with test week.