Sunday, November 30, 2008

A post that isn't about Kaitlyn.

A lot of our posts lately have detailed the small steps in Kaitlyn's development. Unless you are a girl and have a baby this probably is of little interest to you. So in an effort to appeal to a broader audience this post will involve global issues.

Wymount stole my bike.
Recently, when I was a little short on transportation my brother-in-law gave me a bicycle. Not just any bicycle, a maroon bicycle. I commandeered this maroon bicycle for my personal transportation. I got the bike, registered it, purchased a new lock for it, and chained it to the bike rack out front of my apartment. That day when I returned home from school the lock had been cut and the bike was gone. Wymount had stolen my new mode of transportation. After discussing the issue with my wife, it was determined that my temperament made me a poor candidate for recovering the bicycle from Wymount. So Cynthia went to get my bike back.

Vampire Romance and it's similarities to Harry Potter
I have discovered that Harry Potter literature and certain romantic vampire books have a lot in common. These series have a three part plan of attack on the home. First they steal away the hearts and minds of our wives. Second they create unrealistic romantic expectations that husbands will fail to meet due to our non-magical status. Third, they cause an incredible amount of pressure to be directed from wives at husbands to read these books. And fourth, they are obviously tools of "he who shall not be named" since they deal with black magic and minions of evil (I just thought of this fourth point and thought I would throw it in for good measure). MEN do not be fooled... These books are exactly as good as you think they are, maybe even worse (I don't really know since I haven't read them, but I do have an excellent imagination). So next time your wife suggests you read one of these books, I suggest you pick it up and begin reading it out loud. Make up voices for the characters. If she doesn't tear the book out of your hands immediately, I find it helpful to begin adding little parts to the book to make it more interesting. I promise that if you do this right, your wife will no longer try to share things with you, and you can spend this extra time constructively by watching TV or playing video games.

Equal rights for video games
Have you noticed how some hobbies are celebrated while others are condemned? In certain religious circles (BYU wards), talks are regularly given about the evils of video games in the home. As a player of video games, many of which are specifically identified in these talks, I say HEY. At the end of this thanksgiving weekend, I will most assuredly be asked by an alpha male what I did with myself this week. When I reply "stayed up late every night eating pringles and protecting the capital wasteland from super mutants" I will most likely be erroneously identified as a nerd. However, if I replied that I: went fishing, played football, and built an ultimate fighting arena out of barbed wire and gorilla glue he would probably slap me on the back and compliment me for my manliness. I have to admit, those are pretty legitimately manly hobbies, but what about watching football. Why is this given any more credibility than playing video games? The one group fantasize about being big strong capable men who seek to move an odd shaped ball from one end of a field to the other, the other have the same fantasy but with a gun and super mutants. Now that Obama has eradicated racism, maybe we can begin addressing this violation of civil rights (thats just a little joke.. I am sure racism continues). Oh, and players of world of warcraft are on their own.... Weirdos....

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Spencer you really need to set yourself apart as the Alpha Geek to combat against the Alpha Male. I agree with you, you can sit on the couch dreaming of moving the ball down the field or you can grab a mini nuke catapult and save humanity from post apocalyptic mutants not much of a choice to me.

Brenda Smith said...

It was great to be able to laugh about your post Spencer:). A title suggestion for the next one might be: "Seriously So Blessed";). You have a great imagination and are very expressive.
Love, Mom

caleb said...

The only solution is for us mutant ubergeeks to launch a counter strike against the Alphas by giving BYU talks on the evils of fishing, watching football, and barbed wire.

If anything it should be US (mutant ubergeeks) who determines who gets a slap on the back for manliness and who doesn't. And since we always prefer not to slap another man, they will forever doubt their manliness.