Saturday, June 5, 2010

Kaitlyn



I thought I'd just post some tidbits about Kaitlyn as she approaches the 2 year mark. (I can't believe she's almost 2!!!)

She has begun talking up a storm lately, using more and more words in sentences. One of my new favorites is "Hmmm". As in, "Purse, where are you? Hmmm." Or, "Ants, where are you? Hmmm."

She is no where near knowing her abc's (right now it goes "a, b, c, f" ), but she's great at counting. She can count to nineteen, only skipping the same 2 numbers every time. (Okay, as soon as she gets to thirteen it's almost the same sound every time, and she just keeps going). She was handing me her stacking cups last night while she was counting, and the numbers definitely didn't correspond one to one. She just kept counting, even if she couldn't get a cup off. She has ten cups, and I think we got all the way to nineteen. (One, two, tree, four, six, seben, eight, nine, ten, leven, firteen, firteen, firteen, firteen, firteen....)

I also love that she's started singing songs to herself. One of her favorites is "Open them, shut them, open them, shut them." She sings it several times a day, along with "snowman tall, tall, tall".

Kaitlyn LOVES church. More specifically nursery. A couple of weeks ago Spencer was out of town so I had her to myself in Sacrament Meeting and she was going CRAZY. Everytime we sang a song she thought it was over and time to go to nursery. Needless to say we ended up in the hall. Her nursery leader had to bring her to me for a diaper change, and she started crying when she realized she was going into the bathroom instead of the nursery room. But she calmed down when I told her she could go back after we were done.

Kaitlyn got a new playhouse from our next door neighbors, and now she wants to stay outside all the time. It's WAY too hot during the day (104 today!), and by 7:30 it's not much better (still in the 90s), plus that's when the mosquitos come out. But she doesn't care. Consequently she's covered in huge mosquito bites (which don't seem to bother her, lucky girl), and very cranky from the heat when we finally get inside.

She is beginning to learn to throw great tantrums. Funny story, I had an achievement days activity this morning, so Kaitlyn was home with Spencer. I had gotten her up and given her some milk before I left, and I guess Spencer thought I had already fed her breakfast too. When I got home 3 hours later he told me how cranky she had been all morning, and I agreed after watching her for a few minutes. I got an apple for a snack, and she planted herself right next to me, asking for "more, more, more". A little later, I asked Spencer what she had for breakfast and he looked up surprised. No wonder she was so cranky. :)

Kaitlyn LOVES her daddy. Every morning when she gets up she says, "Daddy work" and then goes down the hall to look in the office and make sure he's not there. Last weekend was a holiday, so we got Spencer for an extra day. After so much time together Kaitlyn had a hard time believing me Tuesday morning when I told her he was at work. She was a little bit sad, but then we watched Dora and things were better.

Kaitlyn likes to list off everyone she knows at least once a day, naming different things about them. "Grandpa work. Grandma work. Lisa work. Brian work. Tyler work...." Or, "Grandpa funny? Yes. Lisa funny? Yes. Kristine funny? Yes..." If I chime in and ask if anyone else is funny/nice/cute, the answer is suddenly "no" to everyone.

Kaitlyn does great at sleeping through the night and taking good naps. As soon as I lay her in her bed she's asleep, and usually doesn't wake up until 11 or 12 hours later, and takes a 3 hour nap every day. It's so nice of her to do this for us now, after being such a tough little baby. :)

Kaitlyn is such a tease! Right now she is playing with ice on the coffee table, making a big watery mess. She keeps trying to climb up on the table, and peeking at me over her shoulder with a sly grin on her face to see if I'm watching. She loves to pretend to cause trouble.

Kaitlyn loves necklaces. She puts all of them on several times a day. (I thought of this because right now she's looking at me saying "Necklaces? Hmm. I don't know. Necklaces, where are you?" Guess I'd better go help, and clean up the water...

We sure love having this little girl in our family. She keeps us laughing and on our toes.

8 comments:

Tyler and Kristine Barker said...

Hmmm... Cute little girl? YES! She is such a funny, cute, little, happy girl! That's fun that she loves church so much. I can see her walking around singing that song to herself, she knows it very well! I love having her in our family too and being her aunt! Tell her HI from Kristine!

Kathy Koeven said...

Fun Stuff--She's such a sweety ! Love you all !

Brenda said...

How darling, I can't wait to see it all first hand in a few more weeks!

Kathy Koeven said...

The videos are darling. 2nd one is LOL funny!!! She's so sweet and silly ! You're such a fun & good mommy!!!

Robyn and Blake said...

Oh my goodness, she is so cute and fun! I love the videos! I will definitely take the cooler weather over the heat. That is crazy!

Tyler and Kristine Barker said...

I LOVE the videos! So Cute!

Brenda said...

I love how she changes to the letter P when she is counting. That little nod of the head saying yes, that's right. What a doll!

Crystal said...

We love the post and the kids love the video! Atticus kept saying "she can't count?". I think he meant she was too little to count. But they want to watch it over and over, and they all laugh at the one of Kaitlyn being silly.