Thursday, February 17, 2011

Some of my favorite things about David

(We got home and I set David down for a minute. When I returned, I found a little friend sleeping with him.)

I was so excited for David to be born, but at the same time nervous for all the changes a new baby would bring. There have been a few tough times, but overall it's been wonderful to have him in our family.

First off, my extended version of his birth:
I have to say, his birth was amazing! I was able to enjoy it so much more than I did with Kaitlyn's birth (HOORAY for epidurals!!). I was a little nervous about being induced, just because it was a new experience. I was worried it would lead to a long labor, but it wasn't bad. We got to the hospital at 7:00 am, and David was born at 1:29 pm. I think the worst part of the whole thing was getting my iv at the beginning. (Yes, you can laugh at me). I don't know why it makes me so sick to get those. While they were putting it in, the heart monitor came off David and when they put it back on after the iv was in, his heart rate was extremely low... not sure if it was because of me, or if he was playing with the cord, but it scared me. But it came back up after a minute and was fine through the rest of the labor. I got an epidural soon after that, before any contractions. My doctor was doing a c section from around 10-11, so he didn't want to break my water until after he was done with that. So around 12:00ish he came in and broke my water. Can I mention again how amazing an epidural is? I could tell I was having a contraction because of the tightening, and would look at the monitor to see that it was actually pretty strong. With Kaitlyn, I was NOT prepared for the pain from the contractions and wasn't able to really enjoy any of the labor or pushing her out. This time it just took a couple of pushes (again, no pain!), and David was here! It was so crazy to see him, and finally have him here.

After he was born, I remember telling Spencer how good I felt, and how grateful I was for this since we were far from family. I was able to walk around that first day and never had anywhere near the pain that I did with Kaitlyn. (I was beginning to think I was just a big wimp, since all these other women have babies and are up and about just fine right after. Now I know Kaitlyn's birth was just a tough one.)

Like Spencer said in his post about the birth, he brought Kaitlyn by to visit at the hospital that evening and she started coughing and throwing up while she was there. She had been sick a few days before, but had been fine the past 2 days so it was a bit of a shock to have that suddenly pop up. It turned out to just be an ear infection, but she scared us a bit. I was in the bathroom with my nurse when it happened, and she ran out scared and told Spencer to take her to the ER. After he left she kept calling him "such a nice young man!" because he kept apologizing for bringing a sick girl to the maternity area.

Kaitlyn was sick for the first few days after I got home from the hospital, so Spencer was in charge of her and I was in charge of David, in hopes of keeping him from getting her awful cough. My body felt pretty good, and I was able to move around just fine to take care of him. (Again, different from Kaitlyn's birth).

My mom was able to come out 5 days after he was born, and stayed for 3 weeks. Then Lisa came and stayed for another 2. It was so great to have them here! My dad also came out for a week, and Kristine and Aunt Sharon came out for a couple of days as well. It almost felt like we were back in Utah for a while. :)

Anyway, on to some info about David. He's getting bigger, but still seems so tiny to me. Comparatively Kaitlyn seems HUGE now. And I've got to say I think he's the cutest baby boy around. :)

One thing I'm enjoying about David is he can fall asleep without being swaddled. He does startle a little this way, but usually settles back down. He doesn't really like being swaddled, and usually has one or both arms out by the time he wakes up. Another nice thing is he doesn't cry too much. He can actually stop crying on his own if I don't get to him quickly (although he'll often start crying again a minute later), Kaitlyn could never calm herself down from crying. We'll see how long both of these things last....

I LOVE that he's starting to smile! It usually happens right after he's eaten. In this picture he was looking at Kaitlyn. My camera battery died right after so this is all I got, but he was being pretty cute.
Kaitlyn is loving her baby brother. She likes to get close and look at him wherever he is.
Speaking of Kaitlyn, we had hamburgers on Valentine's Day and about halfway through this is how she started eating hers. Guess she'd had enough of the bread.
Wearing a cute outfit from Grandma Smith.
This is how I find her most mornings and nap times.
Apparently the floor had an owie.
We just started potty training with Kaitlyn yesterday. So far she's doing alright, still lots of accidents, but lots of successes too. Unfortunately she is finding new freedom with this during naptime and insists she needs to go every 5 minutes. Any advice would be awesome.

3 comments:

Brenda said...

I love this post & am so glad you had an easier delivery! He is such a beautiful baby boy! What a sweet peaceful baby he is, most of the time. I love that Kaitlyn loves him so much.
What a great picture of Kaitlyn's happy face as she is running towards you. She and I must have the same throat, it is hard for me to swallow potatoes and bread too.

Kathy Koeven said...

Nice post. Glad to hear 'your version' -- very nice!!! Cute pictures of the kids. Did Kaitlyn peel the back off of the bandaids and stick them all to the flor?? ...Maybe that's where she had an 'accident'...

Robyn and Blake said...

Good luck with the potty training!